The Center for American and International Law (CAIL) is grateful for the support of its host committee for the upcoming Higginbotham Lecture on April 17, 2019 in Houston. The event co-chairs and host committee members, all distinguished leaders in their field, are helping to make this year’s event a memorable one highlighted by guest speaker Admiral William H. McRaven (U.S. Navy, Retired).
Admiral McRaven is an authority on U.S. foreign policy and defense who served as Commander of U.S. Special Operations and, most recently, as Chancellor of The University of Texas System. The title of his talk is “The Rule of Law in a Troubled World.”
At the Higginbotham Lecture, David J. Beck, a former chair of the CAIL Board of Trustees and the founding partner of the firm Beck Redden, will receive the CAIL Award for Achievement in the Pursuit of Justice for All. Beck will be recognized for his commitment to the rule of law and equality of justice, and for his leadership, vision, courage and impact as one of the nation’s top trial attorneys.
The Higginbotham Lecture is named in honor of former CAIL Board of Trustees Chair Judge Patrick Higginbotham. The event raises funds to help CAIL fulfil its mission of improving the quality of justice throughout the United States and around the world by providing continuing education to lawyers and law enforcement professionals.
“We truly appreciate the support of our event co-chairs and host committee members, many of whom also serve on our Board of Trustees,” said Mark Smith, Interim President of CAIL. “Their commitment and contributions are key to making the Higginbotham Lecture a success.”
The Higginbotham Lecture will be held at 12 p.m. on April 17, 2019, at the Hyatt Regency Houston, 1200 Louisiana St. Houston, Texas 77002. For more information, please visit cailaw.org/lecture.
Higginbotham Lecture Co-Chairs:
- Charles W. Hall, Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
- Dee J. Kelly, Jr., Kelly Hart & Hallman LLP
- Hon. Dale Wainwright, Greenberg Taurig LLP
- Donald R. Abaunza, Liskow & Lewis
- Kim J. Askew, K&L Gates LLP
- S. Jack Balagia, Jr., Law Office of Jack Balagia, Jr. PLLC
- Barry C. Barnett, Susman & Godfrey LLP
- Randall M. Ebner, Exxon Mobil Corporation
- John C. Eichman, Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP
- Hilda C. Galvan, Jones Day
- Ambassador Robert W. Jordan, John G. Tower Center for Political Studies, SMU
- Susan L. Karmanian, Hamad Bin Khalifa University
- David Keltner, Kelly Hart & Hallman LLP
- Becky McGee, Attorney, Dallas Texas
- Hon. ELizabeth Lang-Miers, Dallas Texas
- Michael P. Lennon, Jr., Mayer Brown LLP
- David B. Lerman, FTI Consulting
- John C. Lindgren, IPVALUE Management Inc.
- Robert B. Little, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- D. Patrick Long, Squire Patton Boggs
- Harriet E. Miers, Locke Lord LLP
- Harry M. Reasoner, Vinson & Elkins LLP
- Toni Scott Reed, Clark Hill Strasburger PLC
- Barry Sorrels, Sorrels Hagood
- Bruce S. Sostek, Thompson & Knight LLP
- Kenneth L. Stewart, Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
- Richard Stewart Jr., Captain US Navy (Ret.)
- Peter S. Vogel, Foley Gardere
- John C. Wander, Vinson & Elkins LLP
- James L. Waters, Frost Bank