ITA established its Americas Initiative in 2003 to explore opportunities and develop activities by which ITA could better serve the international arbitration community in Latin America. Since then, ITA has teamed up with leading arbitral institutions and counsel throughout Latin America to offer an annual Americas Workshop, an annual Americas Roundtable for young lawyers and variety of other activities designed to increase awareness and promote excellence in the practice of international arbitration in the region. To date, conferences have been held in Bogotá, Buenos Aires, Mexico City, Panama City, Santiago and São Paulo.
In recent years, ITA's collaboration with arbitral institutions in the region has expanded to include cooperation in new areas, including membership status for such institutions within ITA and collaboration on a first of its kind survey of the institutions themselves.
In 2014, ITA launched a primarily Spanish/Portuguese language listserv -- the ITA Latin American Arbitration Forum (ITAFOR) -- which has quickly become the leading online forum for arbitration practitioners in Latin America. ITAFOR is co-presented with the Latin American Arbitration Association (ALARB) and the Brazilian Arbitration Committee (CBAr).
The Americas Initiative is now a standing practice committee of the ITA Advisory Board, open to all Advisory Board members in or interested in Latin America.
Chair, Americas Initiative, Institute for Transnational Arbitration
Bofill Mir & Álvarez Jana, Santiago
Vice Chair, Americas Initiative, Institute for Transnational Arbitration
Mattos Filho, Veiga Filho, Marrey Jr. e Quiroga Advogados, São Paulo
Planning Group Members
- Eliana Buonocore Baraldi, De Vivo, Whitaker e Castro Advogados, São Paolo, Brazil
- Ricardo Cevallos, BLP, San Salvador, El Savador
- René De Liux Campos G., DeLiux Abogados, Mexico City, Mexico
- Fernando de Salvidea de Miguel, De Salvidea y González Alcántara Abogados Mexico City, Mexico
- Cecilia Flores Rueda, FloresRueda, Abogados, Mexico City, Mexico
- Rocío González Alcántara L., EY Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico
- Miguel López Forastier, Covington & Burling LLP, Washington, DC
- Silvia Marchili, King & Spalding LLP, Houston, USA
- Elina Mereminskaya, Wagemann & Cia., Santiago, Chile