- in Norman, Oklahoma, USA
University of Oklahoma College of Law
300 Timberdell Road
Norman, OK 73019
Presented by the Institute for Energy Law and The University of Oklahoma College of Law
This annual symposium follows a career theme for new law graduates and young attorneys interested in working in the energy industries. Symposium topics will include the outlook for oil and gas careers, working as an oil and gas attorney, working as a landman, becoming a negotiator, and regulatory and compliance opportunities, all addressed by senior industry and law firm professionals donating part of their weekend to helping new graduates.
Enhanced informal networking opportunities will be available during the symposium where attendees will be able to talk with the industry participants one-to-one or in small groups.
Holly M. Christie
K&L Gates LLP
Monika U. Ehrman
The University of Oklahoma College of Law
Download the Brochure (pdf)For more details, download the online brochure.
Friday, April 1
Field Trip hosted by the The University of Oklahoma Mewbourne College of Earth and Energy*
The Mewbourne College of Earth & Energy provides an academic environment in earth sciences and engineering, energy education and research that contains the full breadth of The University of Oklahoma educational experience. Their key service mission is to investigate the State of Oklahoma's land, water, mineral and energy resources.
The Field Trip is currently at max capacity. You will be placed on the waiting list if you select you would like to attend the field trip on the registration form. IEL will contact any registrants if space becomes available.
Load buses at The University of Oklahoma College of Law
National Oilwell Varco (NOV) Drilling Simulator
The NOV Drilling Simulator is a digital drilling simulator which mimics offshore drilling rigs currently in use. The simulator, which is the same equipment used to train professional drillers, is comprised of three chairs with joystick controls for a driller and two assistants, and a “driller’s view” projected onto a wall-sized screen featuring Mitsubishi DLP technology – similar to that used in the video screens at the Dallas Cowboy Stadium.
Oklahoma Petroleum Information Center (OPIC)
OPIC, the Oklahoma Petroleum Information Center, houses more than 100 miles of core from almost 10,000 Oklahoma wells, samples from over 50,000 wells, well logs, production reports, and other material vital to petroleum exploration and production. The collection resides in 192,000 square feet of space in Norman, Oklahoma, and is available to users through on-site visits by appointment. The collection contains information, maps and materials useful to industry, academia, scout and school groups, landscapers and civic planners, hunters and fishers, hikers, and those needing topographic maps.
Buses return to The University of Oklahoma College of Law
*The field trip is limited to the first 25 people that register for the field trip.
6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
at Sneed Lounge
Saturday, April 2
The University of Oklahoma College of Law
Registration and light breakfast
Outlook for Legal Careers in the Energy Sector
- Eric S. Eissenstat, Senior Vice President, General Counsel, Chief Risk Officer & Secretary, Continental Resources, Inc., Oklahoma City, OK
The Oil & Gas and Energy Attorney
- Curtis Frasier, Shell Midstream Partners, GP, The Woodlands, TX
- Mark D. Christiansen, McAfee & Taft, Oklahoma City, OK
- Bert Ferrara, Legacy Reserves LP, Midland, TX
- Keith Needham, The Needham Companies, LLC, Oklahoma City, OK
The Petroleum Land Manager and Land Administrator
- Justin Porter, Devon Energy, Oklahoma City, OK
- Amanda Clark, Chesapeake Energy, Oklahoma City, OK
- Tim Kane, Cibola Resources LLC, Austin, TX
- Andrew Poole, Anadarko Petroleum, Houston, TX
- Clifton Squibb, Hamilton & Squibb, LLP, Dallas, TX
Breakout Sessions with the Presenters
International Petroleum Transactions and Global Negotiations
- Owen Anderson, Distinguished Oil and Gas Scholar, Kay Bailey Hutchison Center for Energy Law and Business, The University of Texas College of Law, Eugene Kuntz Chair Emeritus and George Lynn Cross Professor Emeritus, The University of Oklahoma College of Law
- Curtis Frasier, Former General Counsel of Shell's Global E&P Business, The Woodlands, TX
- J. Richard Gallagher, Law Offices of J. Richard Gallagher, Dallas, TX
- Harry W. Sullivan, Jr., Kosmos Energy, Dallas, TX
- David H. Sweeney, K&L Gates LLP, Houston, TX
Compliance and Regulatory Professionals
- Michael L. Decker, Oklahoma Corporation Commission, Oklahoma City, OK
- David Bengtson, Stinson Leonard Street LLP, Wichita, KS
- David Leavitt, Oklahoma Corporation Commission, Oklahoma City, OK
- Amy Maxwell, Lobbyist, Austin, TX
How to Get a Job
- Jolisa Dobbs, Thompson & Knight LLP, Dallas, TX
- Brandon Benson, Source Minerals, LLC, Dallas, TX
- Lucas J. Munson, Munson & Ritter, Edmond, OK
- Thomas Sengewalt, Steptoe & Johnson PLLC, Denver, CO
- Robert J. Witte, Strasburger & Price, LLP, Dallas, TX
Hilton Garden Inn Norman
700 Copperfield Drive
Norman, Oklahoma 73072
A block of rooms have been reserved for April 1, 2016 - April 3, 2016. The special room rate will be available until March 11th or until the group block is sold-out, whichever comes first. The rate is $199.00+ applicable taxes and fees per night. Please mention group code "IEL" to receive the special rate.
The Center for American and International Law does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected status in educational activities, scholarship programs or admissions.