- in Plano, Texas, USA
at The Center for American and International Law
5201 Democracy Drive
Plano, Texas 75024
Credits:240 Hours TCOLE Credit
From its inception in 1957, the mission of the Institute for Law Enforcement Administration has been to provide quality educational programs designed to enhance the professional development of law enforcement leaders at all levels. As the “flagship” program over that time, the School of Executive Leadership (formerly Management College) attracts participants representing municipal, county, state and federal law enforcement organizations across the nation.
Mindful of the essential role it plays in helping prepare law enforcement leaders for the future, the School of Executive Leadership provides a challenging and intensive environment in which participants can learn, develop and test a range of success-oriented skills and abilities. The value of the School of Executive Leadership experience is best measured by the numbers of graduates who serve in leadership positions in organizations across the law enforcement profession.
Download the Brochure (pdf)For more details, download the online brochure.
This course is an intensive eight-week program designed to prepare senior-level law enforcement managers and administrators for leadership in the complex world of public executives. The academic experience prepares individuals to take part in:
- Providing leadership in their agencies on problem solving and management issues.
- Applying progressive and innovative management approaches to their agencies.
- Communicating, both to their colleagues and to the public, plans and programs for change and improvement of police services.
- Professional development opportunities as a stepping-stone toward management and leadership excellence.
- Developing strategies for personal and organizational success in politically-charged environments.
- Gaining professional knowledge as a life-long learner and acquiring critical thinking skills about the future of law enforcement.
- Assuring compliance with current and emerging legal issues as they affect both management and operational aspects of policing.
- Discerning and building avenues for values-based leadership to prosper in law enforcement organizations.
- Developing a personal leadership style characterized by creativity, service and empathy.
Tuition includes all instruction and handouts. Lodging and meals are excluded.
- $2,195 ILEA Member
- $2,495 Non-member
- Budgeting and Financial Management
- Building and Leading Effective Teams
- Communication in Organizations
- Creating a Culture of Integrity
- Crisis Media Management
- Critical Thinking in Leadership
- Executive Leadership
- Executive Writing Skills
- Leadership Ethics
- Legal Issues for Managers
- Managerial Assessment of Proficiency (MAP)
- Problem-solving Skills Development
- Recruiting and Hiring for Quality
- Research Methods in Public Service
- Servant Leadership
- Strategic Planning
- Tools for Continuous Improvement
Who Should Attend?
Sworn and civilian senior-level law enforcement managers and administrators with an interest in organizational improvement, professional development and career enhancement.
Nationally-known faculty representing colleges, universities, criminal justice agencies, and government entities from across North America, provide an unmatched learning experience. The impeccable credentials, broad experience, and outstanding teaching ability of this instructional team make the Management College a challenging and demanding course of study.
Monday through Friday 8:30 am - 3:30 pm
4900 Edwin Lewis
Addison, TX 75001
Hyatt House is conveniently located in the heart of the North Dallas business corridor, just minutes from Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport and Love Field Airport and an easy drive to Plano. Each one- or two-bedroom suite comes with a living room, full kitchen and private bedroom. Dedicated work space and high-speed internet access is provided. Complimentary grocery delivery service makes mealtime easy, or you can choose from dozens of restaurants within a five-minute drive. A breakfast buffet features hot items daily and complimentary beer/wine and non-alcoholic beverages are available Monday-Thursday at Hospitality Hour 5:30 to 7:00pm.
One-Bedroom Suites: In addition to the separate bedroom with its own bath, walk-in closet and TV, the suite offers a living area with sofa, TV and VCR as well as a fully-equipped kitchen. The suite also has a dedicated work space including a full-size desk, dual-line phone, voice mail and high-speed internet access.
Guest rooms are available at the Hyatt House at a special rate of $109* for 1-bdrm suites and $139* for 2-bdrm suites. Contact the Hyatt directly at 972.661.3113 at least 2 weeks prior to the program date to ensure this special rate.
*30 consecutive day stay is required in order for occupancy tax to be waived, lowering the rate to $85 total for the 1-bdrm and $125 for the 2-bdrm suite.
Law enforcement personnel attending this course are eligible for 240 hours of Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) credit. Many out-of-state participants find their states enjoy a reciprocal training agreement with Texas.
Graduates are eligible to apply for up to nine (9) graduate credits and a graduate Certificate in Law Enforcement Management from the University of North Texas (UNT). This highly innovative undertaking will combine on-site course work in the Management College with distance learning and independent study through UNT.
Course Cancellation Policy
Occasionally, the Institute for Law Enforcement Administration (ILEA) may be forced to cancel a scheduled program. Whenever possible, the decision to cancel is made at least fourteen days prior to the start of the program, and registered participants are notified once that decision has been made. If the distance to the training site requires that you make airline and/or hotel reservations, please contact ILEA (+1.972.244.3430) to inquire about the status of any program before making travel arrangements. While paid registrations in cancelled courses will be refunded in full, ILEA will not be responsible for monetary loss due to cancellations or changes in airline or hotel reservations.