in Miami, Florida, USA
White & Case LLP
Southeast Financial Center
200 South Biscayne Boulevard
Miami, Florida, USA
Registration begins at 9:00 am. Online registration is closed. Walk-in registrations will be accepted at the door.
Credits:Registration begins at 9:00 am.
Presented by the ITA Young Arbitrators Initiative (YAI)
Co-Sponsored by White & Case LLP, Miami International Arbitration Society (MIAS) and Future of Arbitration Miami (FAM)
The finance and banking industry is a trending topic these days given the recent publication of the ICC Commission Report on Financial Institutions and International Arbitration. This event aims to provide young arbitration stakeholders with a legal and market-oriented perspective on the challenges posed by the development of arbitration in the finance and banking industry, focusing in particular in the role of the region.
YAI TALKS # is a series of local events presenting talks, workshops or interviews that cover a wide range of subjects relating to arbitration, designed for learning, provoking conversation and sharing knowledge and experiences among young practitioners.
Thanks to the generosity of our sponsors, this event is tuition-free and includes brunch. Please register in advance to help us capture an accurate headcount.
Download the Brochure (pdf)For more details, download the online brochure.
- Friday, February, 24, 2017 (9:00 am - 12:30 pm)
- Free, including brunch
Schedule and Faculty
- Montserrat Manzano, ITA Young Arbitrators Initiative Chair, Von Wobeser y Sierra, S.C., Mexico City
Finance and banking industry as “untapped” territory for arbitration
This session will present an overview of the industry and of the types of disputes that arise. Why has national court litigation been the traditional forum for dispute resolution chosen by the industry? What are the industry perceptions of the national court system vs. arbitration? What advantages does arbitration present for the industry?
- Lauran San Roman Guijarro, White & Case LLP, Miami
- Diana C. Droulers, Arbitrator; Advisor, Latin America, Dispute Resolution Data; and and President, International Federation of Commercial Arbitration Institutions (IFCAI)
- M. Cristina Cárdenas, Astigarraga Davis, Miami
- Sergio Alvarez-Mena, Jones Day, Miami, Vice-Chair, Florida International Bankers Association (FIBA)
- Leyla Tavarez – Wells Fargo, Miami
Advice and practical insights
What can arbitration stakeholders do to conquer the finance/banking industry?To develop a successful arbitration practice in the region? Perspective of different arbitration players.
- Katherine Sanoja, GST LLP, Miami
- Raoul Cantero – White & Case
- Prof. Manuel A. Gomez, Associate Dean of International and Graduate Studies, Florida International University College of Law, Miami
- Juan Pablo Moyano Garcia, International Case Director, International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR), Miami