Justice John G. Browning
Spencer Fane LLP
Justice John Browning accepted the invitation extended by T.L. Cubbage (President of The Center for American and International Law or “CAIL”) to serve as the Chair of the Advisory Board for the Institute for Law & Technology. The institute is a division of CAIL, and in this leadership role Justice Browning will also serve as an ex officio member of CAIL’s Board of Trustees.
“We welcome John Browning as the new Chair of the Institute of Law and Technology Advisory Board. John brings to us enormous experience in the law as a judge, adjunct professor, author, and trial attorney in the areas of technology. We look forward to his leadership in our Institute,” said Larry Bassuk, Vice Chair of ILT and Senior Patent Counsel with Texas Instruments Incorporated.
ILT and the legal community suffered a huge loss with the passing of Clyde Siebman, the long-serving Chair of ILT. Justice Browning said “I am humbled and grateful for this opportunity and look forward to working with the ILT community in this new and exciting capacity. The late Clyde Siebman was a dear friend of mine, and he leaves big shoes to fill. I hope that my service as Chair will build upon his impressive legacy and honor his memory.”
You may already know him as a colleague, but even if you do there are likely some things you don’t know about Justice Browning:
- Partner at Spencer Fane, LLP, handling civil litigation in state and federal courts
- Served on Texas’ 5th Court of Appeals
- Authored four books focusing on social media and the law
- Published hundreds of articles for practitioners and the public, as well as more than forty academic articles
- His work has been cited in over 400 law reviews, numerous books, treatises, and practice guides in at least 11 states, and by courts in California, Texas, New York, Florida, Illinois, Tennessee, Washington D.C., and Puerto Rico
- Quoted as a leading authority on social media and the law by such publications as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, TIME magazine, The National Law Journal, ABA Journal, Law 360, and Inside Counsel magazine
- Recurring legal commentator for the NBC and FOX news stations in Dallas
- Adjunct law professor at SMU Dedman School of Law, Texas A&M University School of Law, and Texas Tech University School of Law
- Immediate past Chair of the Computer & Technology Section of the State Bar of Texas
- Frequent contributor to the Texas Bar Journal, including May 2021 “Humor: Fun with Puns”
- Nationally recognized as a thought leader in technology and the law
- Advisory Board Member of the Institute for Law and Technology
- Fellow of the Intellectual Property Institute
ILT is a community for lawyers and other professionals working in intellectual property and technology. Home to the Annual Intellectual Property Law Conference and the Annual Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Law Conference, ILT is focused on providing premier educational and networking opportunities to its members. Join leading academics, in-house counsel, and private practitioners and become a member of ILT.