The Institute for Energy Law will accept applications for the 2023-24 Leadership Class from April 17 to May 31, 2023. This prestigious program is primarily for energy professionals who have been practicing in the energy field between three and twelve years. Generally, class members are under forty years of age. Although members are largely attorneys, prior classes have included consultants, accountants, professors, and other types of energy professionals. Prior classes have included individuals from large and small law firms, in-house legal departments, government, law professors, consultant firms, and others.
Through participation, class members will increase their knowledge of leadership, communication, diversity, and the energy industry. Participants will also discover their strengths and weaknesses, the traits of excellent leadership, and opportunities for success as energy professionals in today’s climate. In addition, class members will build strong bonds with their class, establish relationships with IEL leaders, and have increased opportunities within IEL.
Most of the program is conducted online, but an in-person class retreat will occur on September 20, 2023, in Houston. Attendance is expected at the retreat absent pre-approval during the application process for extenuating circumstances. A professional development conference open to a larger audience will also be held on September 21, 2023, in the same location that will be free for class members.
The program will begin with online programming and networking events in August 2023 and will feature online programming approximately every two weeks for the first few months and additional online education and social events for the remainder of the class.
Class members will be able to attend the 75th Annual Energy Law Conference, in Houston, Texas in February 2024, and the 7th National Young Energy Professionals Law Conference in March or April 2024 (location TBD) for free.
Costs & Direct Benefits
The program fee is $650, which provides individuals with the following direct benefits:
- Associate Membership in IEL for the remainder of 2023 and all of 2024
- Participation in all Leadership Class Events, including an in-person retreat
- Free registration to the 75th Annual Energy Law Conference
- Free registration to the 7th National Young Energy Professionals’ Law Conference
- Free registration for any young energy professional conference or programs
- Free registration for all IEL webinars
- Free registration for all online conferences
- Free registration for all events free for IEL Advisory Board Members
- Ability to participate on all IEL Practice Committees
Application for the 6th Leadership Class is closed.
If you have questions regarding the Leadership Class, please contact: