Young Energy Professionals
The Young Energy Professionals (YEP) Practice Committee is a committee of the Institute for Energy Law. It is made up of the designated YEP representatives of the IEL’s members, other younger advisory board members, individual YEP members and law student members. The committee’s mission is to offer younger IEL members a forum for discussion of contemporary issues, information for career development, and an opportunity to network with each other and with energy industry leaders. The committee has four seats on IEL's Executive Committee.
"Young" energy professionals are attorneys, landmen, engineers and other industry participants under the age of 40.
The YEPs have an established record of providing quality programs and events to members. Consistent with the needs of its membership, the YEPs focus on providing opportunities for career advancement, long-term relationships within the energy industry, and a forum to explore current issues in the energy industry through:
- programs for career and professional development;
- education in the fundamentals of energy law;
- creating a forum in which YEPs can explore current issues in the energy industry, as well as other matters relevant to young professionals, through the Young Energy Professionals’ Newsletter The Energy Dispatch; and
- networking with other YEPs, as well as with more senior members of the Institute for Energy Law and other industry leaders.
The YEPs are currently planning programs and events and would appreciate your input. Activities being considered include educational seminars, law student outreach, public service, social events, and more. We're also looking to co-host events with other area organizations.
IEL Young Energy Professional Awards
IEL will present two categories of awards to young energy professionals that have demonstrated achievement and leadership in the energy profession. The awards will be presented at the 7th National Young Energy Professionals' Law Conference on March 27, 2024, in New Orleans.
One recipient will receive the IEL Outstanding Young Energy Professional Award, and at least one and no more than five recipients will receive the Institute for Energy Law Emerging Star Award.
The IEL Outstanding Young Energy Professional Award will be presented to an experienced energy professional who is under 40 years of age as of December 31, 2023.
The Institute for Energy Law Emerging Star Award will be given to a young energy professional with six or fewer years of experience in the energy profession as of December 31, 2023.
In selecting the recipients, IEL will consider the nominee’s outstanding and special achievements in the energy profession, including work in the energy sector and contributions to the development of energy law. IEL may also consider the nominee’s:
- exceptional or innovative client service in the energy sector;
- advancement of diversity, equity, and inclusion in the energy profession;
- advocacy for the energy sector or initiatives to support the advancement of the energy sector;
- past and present involvement or leadership in the candidate’s organization and/or professional organizations, including the Institute for Energy Law;
- contributions to the development of other energy lawyers or professionals, whether through mentoring or special initiatives; and
- involvement in the community to contribute to the positive perception of the energy profession and educate the community about energy careers, including through pro bono legal services.
The awards will be selected by a selection committee that includes the officers of the Young Energy Professionals Committee and additional individuals selected by the Chair of IEL’s Advisory Board. Members of the selection committee are not eligible to receive either award while serving on the selection committee. In addition, an award recipient is not eligible to receive the same award more than once.
Please email IEL if you have any questions.
Baker Botts L.L.P.
New Orleans, LA
Reed Smith LLP
Shell USA, Inc.