5th Circuit Bankruptcy Bench-Bar Conference-
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
The Royal Sonesta Hotel
300 Bourbon St.
New Orleans, LA 70130
Online registration is closed. Please bring your registration form filled out and register at the door.
Hon. Neil Olack, Hon. Richard Schmidt, and Hon. Robert Summerhays are the co-chairs for this conference. Working with a planning committee, they have identified topics and speakers for a bench-bar conference you won’t want to miss!
The program features plenary sessions (including one on ethics), Business & Consumer breakout sessions, and a luncheon presentation by Hon. Carl Stewart.
- Discuss Issues Important To Your Practice
- Explore Best Practices And Hot Topics
- Gain Insights About The Economy From A Representative Of The Dallas Federal Reserve
- Optional Dinner At Antoine’s
Download the Brochure (pdf)For more details, download the online brochure.
- $395/$445 - Lawyers (Tuition does not include the February 13 dinner)
- $0 - Bankruptcy, District Court and Circuit Court Judges and Federal Magistrates (includes the February 13 dinner)
- $325 - Trustees and Clerks of the Bankruptcy Courts in the 5th Circuit (includes the February 13 dinner)
There will be separate breakouts for Business and Consumer Lawyers. The Business Bankruptcy Breakouts will each be offered three times – on Thursday morning, Thursday afternoon and Friday morning. Those who sign up for the Business Bankruptcy track will be divided into three groups. Each of the groups will rotate through the three breakout modules. There will be three breakout modules for the Consumer Bankruptcy track – one will be presented on Thursday morning, one on Thursday afternoon and one on Friday morning.
Wednesday, February 12
5:30 pm - 7:00 pm
Reception (and Early Registration) at the Royal Sonesta
Thursday, February 13
Registration and Networking Continental Breakfast
Judge Neil Olack, Judge Richard Schmidt, and Judge Robert Summerhays
Plenary Session – Economic Forecast
Keith R. Phillips
First Breakout Session
Hosted Lunch at the Royal Sonesta
Chief Judge Carl E. Stewart
Plenary Session – Evidentiary Issues
Judge Pamela Pepper, Kristina M. Johnson, Jan M. Hayden, and Jim F. Spencer
Second Breakout Session
5:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Reception at the Royal Sonesta
Friday, February 14
Networking Continental Breakfast
Plenary Session - New Judges Panel
Judge Tony M. Davis and Judge Jason D. Woodard, moderated by Judge Harlin D. Hale
Third Breakout Session
Plenary Session - Ethics
Judge Douglas D. Dodd, Judge David Jones, Judge Neil Olack, and Henry G. Hobbs, Jr.
Concluding Remarks and Adjournment
- *Byrnie Bass - Law Office of R. Byrn Bass, Jr., Lubbock, Texas
- Rhett G. Campbell - Thompson & Knight LLP, Houston, Texas
- Loretta Cross - Stout Risius Ross, Inc., Houston, Texas
- The Hon. Tony M. Davis - U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Texas, Austin
- The Hon. Douglas D. Dodd - U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Middle District of Louisiana, Baton Rouge
- *Douglas S. Draper - Heller, Draper, Patrick & Horn, L.L.C., New Orleans, Louisiana
- The Hon. Harlin D. Hale - U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Texas, Dallas
- *Jan M. Hayden - Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC, New Orleans, Louisiana
- *Henry G. Hobbs, Jr. - Acting U.S. Trustee, Region 5, New Orleans, Louisiana and Asst. U.S. Trustee, Austin, Texas
- The Hon. Marvin Isgur - U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Texas, Brownsville
- Clifton R. Jessup, Jr. - Greenberg Traurig, LLP, Dallas, Texas
- *Kristina M. Johnson - Jones Walker, LLP, Jackson, Mississippi
- The Hon. David Jones - U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Texas, Houston
- Omer F. "Rick" Kuebel III - Locke Lord LLP, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Deborah Langehennig - Chapter 13 Trustee, Austin, Texas
- *Selene D. Maddox - Maddox Law Office, Tupelo, Mississippi and Chapter 7 Trustee, Northern District of Mississippi
- The Hon. Elizabeth Magner - U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Louisiana, New Orleans
- *Michelle A. Mendez - Conley, Rosenberg & Brenneise, LLP, Addison, Texas
- The Hon. Pamela Pepper - U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
- Keith R. Phillips - Senior Economist and Research Officer, Federal Reserve Bank, San Antonio
- Louis M. Phillips - Gordon, Arata, McCollam, Duplantis & Eagan LLC, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Lisa Poulin - Deloitte Financial Advisory Services LLP, Washington, DC
- *The Hon. Brenda T. Rhoades - U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Texas, Plano
- *Keith Rodriguez - U.S. Trustee, Western District of Louisiana, Lafayette
- David A. Rubin - Kantrow Spaht Weaver and Blitzer, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- *The Hon. Katharine M. Samson - U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Mississippi, Gulfport
- *The Hon. Leslie H. Southwick - Circuit Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit, Jackson, Mississippi
- *Jim F. Spencer, Jr. - Watkins & Eager PLLC, Jackson, Mississippi
- William E. Steffes - Steffes, Vingiello & McKenzie, LLC, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- The Hon. Carl E. Stewart - Chief Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit, Shreveport, Louisiana
- *William L. Wallander - Vinson & Elkins, Dallas, Texas
- *Keith M. Welch - Simon, Fitzgerald, Cooke, Reed & Welch, Shreveport, Louisiana
- *Joseph Wielebinski - Munsch Hardt Kopf & Harr, Dallas, Texas
- Robert B. Wilson - Chapter 13 Trustee, Lubbock, Texas
- The Hon. Jason D. Woodard - U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Mississippi, Aberdeen
*Served on the conference planning committee
Business Bankruptcy (each to be offered three times)
- Oil and Gas/Energy Law
Discussion Leaders – Doug Draper, Rick Kuebel, Rhett Campbell, and Bill Wallander
- Chapter 11 Plan Confirmation Issues (Practical Approaches to "Participation"; How to sell liened property in Chapter 11 confirmations, Texas Grand Prairie case, Claim Preservation)
Discussion Leaders – Judge Samson, Joe Wielebinski, Clifton Jessup, and Bill Steffes
- Best Practices on the Use of Experts
Discussion Leaders – Judge Schmidt, David Rubin, Loretta Cross, Lisa Poulin, and Michelle Mendez
Consumer Bankruptcy (each offered once)
- Estoppel (Res Judicata, Judicial Estoppel, Rooker Feldman Doctrine, etc.)
Discussion Leaders – Judge Summerhays, Louis Phillips, Deborah Langehennig, and Byrnie Bass (Thursday a.m.)
- National Chapter 13 Form Plan
Discussion Leaders – Judge Isgur, Keith Rodriguez, Robert Wilson, Selene Maddox, and Keith Welch (Thursday p.m.)
- Top 10 Recent Cases
Discussion Leaders – Judge Magner, Judge Rhoades, and Judge Southwick (Friday a.m.)
This program is approved by the State Bar of Texas for 8.75 hours, including 1 hour of ethics. Course ID Number: 901280366. Sign-in sheets and/or certificates of attendance will be available for ALL states.
This program is approved by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization for 8.75 hours in the following area: Bankruptcy
Elliott Cup Bankruptcy Moot Court Competition
Experienced Bankruptcy Lawyers Needed to Judge the Elliott Cup Bankruptcy Moot Court Competition
Experienced bankruptcy lawyers are needed as judges for the annual Texas/Fifth Circuit Bankruptcy Moot Court Event for the 2014 Elliott Cup. The event is sponsored by the Bankruptcy Section of the State Bar of Texas, and is named in honor of the late Joseph C. Elliott, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge for the Western District of Texas. The Elliott Cup event includes law schools throughout the Fifth Circuit.
The Elliott Cup will be held in New Orleans, Louisiana immediately following the Bench-Bar Conference, February 14-15. The opening rounds will be held at the U.S. District Court beginning at noon on Friday, February 14, with the competition concluding on February 15 at the Fifth Circuit Courthouse.
Scoring will be based solely on oral argument. Lawyers will be requested to score each competitor and provide constructive input to the teams following each preliminary round. A trophy will be awarded to the first, second and third place teams, as well as awards for the best oral advocates.
Participating lawyers are invited to the Team Dinner, where awards will be presented (Saturday night, February 15) and a Welcoming Cocktail Reception (Friday night, February 14, from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.).
If you are willing to serve as a judge for the 2014 Elliott Cup, please provide your name, phone number, and email address to the Elliott Cup Chairperson:
Cox Smith Matthews Incorporated
112 E. Pecan Street, Suite 1800, San Antonio, TX 78205
210.554.5511 • email@example.com
The Royal Sonesta Hotel
300 Bourbon St.
New Orleans, LA 70130
Cutoff Date: Wed. January 22, 2014 (5pm Central)
Rate: $189 +applicable taxes and fees per night for Wed. 2/12/14 and Thur. 2/13/14
"The conference was fantastic! Well run and great information."
"Excellent seminar. Outstanding speakers."
"Top notch speakers—enjoyed hearing in depth analysis and comments from the judges. Interaction between panel members/judges was fascinating. Excellent faculty."
-- 2012 Participants
The Center for American and International Law does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected status in educational activities, scholarship programs or admissions.