Fifth Circuit Bankruptcy Bench-Bar Conference-
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
JW Marriott Hotel New Orleans
614 Canal St.
New Orleans, LA 70130
Join program co-chairs Hon. Stacey G.C. Jernigan, Hon. Neil Olack, and Hon. Robert R. Summerhays and a stellar faculty of judges and practitioners for the Fifth Circuit Bankruptcy Bench-Bar Conference in New Orleans this February!
The conference will be held at the JW Marriott, beginning the evening of February 5th and concluding around noon on February 7th.
Download the Brochure (pdf)For more details, download the online brochure.
Schedule and Faculty
Wednesday, February 5
Reception (and Early Registration) at the Hotel (JW Marriott New Orleans)
Thursday, February 6
State By State Breakfasts, with a moderated discussion as part of each breakfast (30 minutes of CLE)
- Louisiana: Judge Robert R. Summerhays, Lucy G. Sikes, and Brooke W. Altazan
- Mississippi: Judge Neil P. Olack, Rosamond Hawkins Posey, and Tylvester Goss
- Texas: Judge Stacey G.C. Jernigan, Demetra L. Liggins, and Jason Binford
- Judge Stacey G.C. Jernigan, Judge Neil P. Olack, and Judge Robert R. Summerhays
Plenary Session – Ethics - Professional Fees & Benefit To The Estate
- Michael P. Richman, Judge Jason D. Woodard, and Bill Greendyke
Break (and move into Breakout Sessions)
First Breakout Sessions
- Challenging Issues In Healthcare Bankruptcies
Thomas R. Califano, Karen G. Nicolaou, Chris Maddux, and Paul Rundell
- No Money Down Chapter 13 Plans – A Benefit Or Detriment To Debtors?
Moderator: Judge John W. Kolwe
Panelists: Bradley L. Drell, Professor Pamela Foohey, and Dr. Deborah Thorne
Announcement of the recipients of the Michelle Mendez Award
Luncheon Presentation: The Future Of The Legal Profession
- Judy Perry Martinez, President, American Bar Association
Break (and move into Breakout Sessions)
Second Breakout Sessions
- Controversial Chapter 11 Plan Provisions
Paul E. Heath, Ronit J. Berkovich, and Deborah M. Perry
- Seniors In Bankruptcy
Judge Katharine M. Samson, Dwayne Murray, Dr. Deborah Thorne, and Professor Pamela Foohey
Break (and move back to Plenary)
Plenary Session – The Latest Developments On Arbitration In Bankruptcy
- Moderator: Judge Ronald B. King
- Panelists: Judge Eduardo V. Rodriguez and Vickie L. Driver
Plenary Session – Supreme Court Update
- Professor John M. Czarnetzky, Judge Marvin Isgur, and Cherie Dessauer Nobles
5:30 – 6:30 pm
Reception at the Hotel – Drinks & small bites
7:30 – 9:30 pm
Optional party at Pat O’s On The River – Drinks & heavy hors d'oeuvres (Bring your umbrellas in case it rains on the walk!)
Friday, February 7
Networking Continental Breakfast
Plenary Session – Introducing The New Judges
- Judge Meredith S. Grabill, Judge John S. Hodge, Judge Christopher M. Lopez, Judge Selene D. Maddox, Judge E. Lee Morris, and Judge Stephen D. Wheelis
Break (to move into breakout sessions)
Third Breakout Sessions
- What’s Wrong With Chapter 11?
Professor Charles J. Tabb, R. Patrick Vance, and Shari L. Heyen
- Applying Objective Reasonableness: The Many Questions That Remain After Taggart v. Lorenzen
Louis M. Phillips, Behrooz P. Vida, and Rudy J. Cerone
Break (to move back to Plenary)
Plenary Session – Good Faith In The Filing Of Involuntary Bankruptcy Cases
- Moderator: Judge Mark X. Mullin
- Panelists: Douglas C. Noble and Rakhee V. Patel
Concluding Remarks & Adjournment
The cost of housing is not included in tuition. However, rooms (in limited number) have been reserved at the JW Marriott New Orleans, 614 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70130. Registrants should call 1-877-622-3056 and identify yourself as part of the CAIL: Bench Bar Bankruptcy Conference or visit this link to receive a standard room at a reduced rate of $209 + tax on the nights of 2/5, 2/6, and 2/7. The last day to obtain this special rate is January 22, 2020, or as long as rooms are still available in the block.
Additional properties closest to the JW Marriot New Orleans:
- Courtyard New Orleans Downtown Near the French Quarter
124 St. Charles Avenue New Orleans, Louisiana 70130
- Renaissance New Orleans Pere Marquette French Quarter Area Hotel
817 Common Street New Orleans, Louisiana 70112
- New Orleans Marriott
555 Canal Street New Orleans, Louisiana 70130
This program is approved by the State Bar of Texas for 9 hours, including 1 hour of ethics. Course ID Number: 174068080. Credit hours for other states will vary and are subject to each state’s approval and credit rounding rules.
For this conference, CAILAW will directly apply (if requested) for course accreditation in the following states: CA, LA, MN, NM, OH, OK, PA, TX and VA. Some of these states may not approve a program for credit hours before the program occurs. Attorneys may be eligible to receive CLE credit through reciprocity or attorney self-submission in other states. CAILAW conferences are typically accredited by all mandatory CLE states.
I wish the NCBJ was as good as this conference! The real world discussions with colleagues and judges are so valuable.
Well run, well done
Always a great conference
-- 2018 Registrants
The Center for American and International Law does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected status in educational activities, scholarship programs or admissions.