The Texas Sergeant Academy
In cooperation with TMLIRP
Harlingen, Texas, USA
This two-week interactive and experiential program is designed to equip and inspire new supervisors, and reinvigorate senior supervisors, for the challenges of the fast paced and fluid world of law enforcement leadership. This course will meet the basic requirements established by TCOLE for the preparation of new supervisors for their supervisory role. Successful graduates of this course will receive credit for the TCOLE New Supervisor’s Course 3737.
Open to all Law Enforcement Agencies.
- Case Law Update and Supervisory Responsibility
- Dealing with Difficult Employees
- Diversity through Ethical Leadership
- Employee Motivation and Counseling
- Ethics in Law Enforcement
- Leadership 101
- Leadership Styles and Communication
- Policing and Social Justice
- Preventing Sexual Harassment
- Responding to Critical Incidents
- Risk Management
- Role Identification and Transition
Who Should Attend?
- This course is aimed at newly promoted sworn and civilian supervisors; however, veteran supervisors wishing to sharpen the saw will also find this course beneficial.
- $550 per person - Special reduced rate for TMLIRP member agencies*
- $1,100 per person for non-TMLIRP members
*If any TMLIRP member agency participant does not complete the course, either the participant or the participant’s employer shall instead be responsible for the remaining $550 payment to ILEA.
Class Hours / Recommended Hotels
- 8:30am to 4:30pm daily with the exception of the final day which concludes at 12:00 noon
- Hilton Garden Inn Harlingen Convention Center
751 Harlingen Heights Drive | Harlingen 78552
- Residence Inn by Marriot Harlingen
109 Bass Pro Drive | Harlingen 78552
- Candlewood Suites Harlingen
4319 S Expressway 83 | Harlingen 78550
Law enforcement personnel attending this course are eligible for seventy (70) hours of Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) credit (3737).
The Center for American and International Law does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status in educational activities, scholarship programs or admissions.
Course Cancellation Policy
Occasionally, the Institute for Law Enforcement Administration (ILEA) may be forced to cancel a scheduled program. Whenever possible, the decision to cancel is made at least fourteen days prior to the start of the program, and registered participants are notified once that decision has been made. If the distance to the training site requires that you make airline and/or hotel reservations, please contact ILEA (+1.972.244.3430) to inquire about the status of any program before making travel arrangements. While paid registrations in cancelled courses will be refunded in full, ILEA will not be responsible for monetary loss due to cancellations or changes in airline or hotel reservations.
The Institute for Law Enforcement Administration provides professional education and technical support to the law enforcement community.
A registrant in an ILEA program must be a sworn officer; a civilian employee of a law enforcement department; or an employee of a municipal, county or state agency.
Anyone interested in attending an ILEA program who does not meet the above standard requirements will need to request advance approval. Such requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.