The Higginbotham Lecture Series was created in 2013 as a tribute to Judge Patrick E. Higginbotham, thanking him for the twelve years he spent at the helm of CAIL’s Board of Trustees.
The Series provides meaningful commentary on current trends pertaining to the rule of law and brings together the biggest legal names for education and discussion. It also raises much-needed financial support and awareness for CAIL.
During the event, the CAIL Award for Achievement in the Pursuit of Justice for All is presented to an individual or group whose life/lives and work embodies CAIL’s commitment to the rule of law. The award honors those who have displayed leadership, vision, courage and impact, and whose work has most effectively promoted justice.
Since its inception, the Higginbotham Lecture Series has attracted over 1,300 attendees from the legal, business and judicial community and raised over $378,000 in unrestricted funds to support CAIL programming.
- 2019 - Charles Hall, Norton Rose & Fulbright; Dee J. Kelly, Jr., Kelly Hart & Hallman; Hon. Dale Wainwright, Greenberg Traurig
- 2018 - Talmage Boston, Shackelford, Bowen, McKinley & Norton LLP
- 2016 - Robert B. Little, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- 2015 - Timothy E. Powers, Haynes and Boone, LLP
- 2014 - Rod Phelan, Baker Botts LLP
- 2013 - George W. Bramblett Jr., Haynes and Boone, LLP
- 2019 - Adm. William H. McRaven, USN (Ret.)
- 2018 - Douglas Brinkley, Professor of History, Rice University
- 2016 - Kenneth R. Feinberg, The Law Offices of Kenneth R. Feinberg, PC
- 2015 - Mark K. Updegrove, Director of the LBJ Library, in conversation with Talmage Boston, Winstead PC
- 2014 - Judge Ken Starr, Baylor University
- 2013 - Judge Patrick E. Higginbotham, The Hon. Sidney A. Fitzwater, The Hon. Wallace B. Jefferson and The Hon. Carl E. Stewart
Past CAIL Award Honorees
- 2019 - David J. Beck, Beck Redden
- 2018 - Charles W. Matthews
- 2016 - Harry M. Reasoner, Vinson & Elkins LLP
- 2015 - James E. (Jim) Coleman, Jr., Carrington, Coleman, Sloman & Blumenthal, L.L.P.